The Community Meeting Room Seats Up To 30 People, Auditorium Style, Without Tables
Apply to Use the Community Meeting Room. Download the Application Form.
Community Meeting Room Policy
Lilly Library’s meeting room is primarily for the use of the library, library related organizations, and library sponsored programs. When not required for the use of the library or library related organizations, the meeting room at Lilly Library is provided for the benefit of all Northampton residents and may be used by non-profit organizations and individuals as the space is available.
The use of the meeting room must meet the goals and objectives of the Board of Trustees in providing for the informational, educational and cultural needs of the community. Lilly Library encourages events that are open to the public free of charge and that are open to all. Meeting rooms are made available as a public service and booking a room in no way constitutes an endorsement of the program or philosophy of the group or the individuals using the facility. The Trustees of Lilly Library reaffirm the American Library Association’s Bill of Rights which states that facilities should be made available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliation of individuals or groups requesting their use.
Meeting space is not available for purely social functions (functions designed for entertainment with friends or associates). Organized community groups, agencies of city, state and federal government, and individual citizens may use the meeting rooms according to the following priorities:
- Library Programs
- Library related groups, such as Friends or Lilly Library and Trustees.
- Civic, school and non-profit groups presenting meetings of public interest.
- Other groups not included above, and specifically excluded in the Lilly Library Meeting Room Policy.
Reservations may be made in person, via e-mail, or over the telephone with the Director, or Assistant Director. A completed application and payment of the fee, if applicable, confirms the reservation. The signer of the agreement will be held responsible for any damages to the facility. Clean up charges will be assessed in cases of unusual wear and tear on the room.
A non-Lilly Library sponsored group may use our meeting room no more than twice a month. Space may be reserved up to 3 months in advance for prime time (Thursday evening, Saturdays & Sundays) and up to 3 months in advance at other times, on a space available basis. Library staff may reserve the meeting room up to 24 months in advance. Reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
Cancellation of a reservation must be reported 5 days (of library operation) in advance. Refunds of the paid rent will be refunded with the previously mentioned five-day notice. Failure to cancel or to appear for a reservation will result in forfeiture of room privileges. The Library reserves the right to refuse service to patrons with an outstanding Library bill over $50.00. Lilly Library is not responsible for costs incurred if a meeting is canceled due to circumstances beyond the library’s control.
Library audiovisual equipment is not currently available for use.
Snow Days – Bad Weather Guidelines
Library activities and services will be open as usual unless specific announcements are made to the contrary. Such announcements will be made via the library’s voice mail message, 413-587-1500, via radio station WHMP Northampton 1400 AM, TV Stations WWLP Channel 22, and WGGB Channel 40. Signs will be posted at the Library entrances if the Library closes after it has opened. If is the responsibility of the Group to check the listed media for library closings due to weather and/or emergencies. If the library is not open, the group will not be able to meet.
Rescheduling events: an attempt will be made to reschedule, based on space available. Organizations are allowed to reserve “snow dates” if they wish. However, it is the group’s responsibility to ascertain that the Library has not opened for the day by checking the above mentioned sources.
Questions about this policy should be directed in writing to the Director.
ROOM USE FEE SCHEDULE (FOR UP TO 3-HOUR BLOCK TIME)
- For event sponsored by the library staff, Trustees, or Friends; 501c3 group; Northampton civic groups and individuals; library agencies, author book signings/sales. No fund raising or donations – NO CHARGE
- Use of the meeting room by a non-Northampton group or event sponsor (except library agencies); Out of town fee always applies. $5.00 in addition to any fee below.
- Free public event to present information about a business – $20.00
- Event with admission fee, fund-raiser or donation requested – sponsored by civic group, individuals, or non-profit groups – $10.00
- Event with admission fee, fund-raiser or donation requested – sponsored by commercial business – $30.00
- Meeting room is not available for private parties e.g. birthdays, weddings
RULES GOVERNING USE OF LIBRARY MEETING ROOM:
- Total capacity is 45 persons standing room only; 30 persons with seating.
- Meeting space used beyond regular library hours will require the presence of a library representative at extra cost per hour.
- Additional expense may be assessed if group does not vacate meeting space fifteen minutes before the building is closed.
- To protect interior finishes, materials may not be attached to windows or walls.
- Meeting room must be restored to its original clean condition.
- Unlawful activity shall not be permitted in meeting room and such activity shall be a basis to deny future use of the space by groups or individuals violating this policy.
- Meetings may be terminated if they are disruptive to library services.
- Responsible adults must supervise activities for minors age 17 and under.
- Permission to use meeting room is not transferable by any individual or group when application was previously approved.
- Meeting room users agree to pay for any and all damages to library property while applicant is using property.
- Users are requested to bring their own easels, office equipment and supplies.
Signature of representative for organization or group making reservation required.